Friday, May 29, 2009

Inspiration: 19th Century Garden Statuary


Since I was first exposed to architectural decoration of the 19th century in Art History classes way back when, and especially work done in France, I always find myself fascinated in researching such things as gargoyles and elaborate ironwork, stone carving, bronze furniture fittings, drapery hardware, representations made in everything from buildings to antique French fabrics. My most recent source of "oohs and ahhs" has been selections from a garden statuary auction being held by Sotheby's in June. I love planters, finials, scroll designs, Bacchus heads, and this auction seems to bring all these images together. Enjoy: most of the pieces here are indeed French 19th century, and all primarily made of limestone.




No comments:

Post a Comment