Sunday, May 10, 2009

David's Ideas For A Nursery



These photos show a nursery I designed, and is an example of how great a few coordinated elements can come together to create a clean yet fun atmosphere for the family's new addition. The clients expressed that they liked blue and white, and wanted a fabric that had some sort of animal theme depicted. I searched new fabric houses and this animal print jumped out at me, and I thought the fact that the names of the animals written underneath would eventually become a learning tool.

Here I had a very small budget to work with, and when this is the case the most important thing to remember is to do as much of the prep work yourself. I took an existing chest of drawers, repainted it white and found some simple ball finials, and recovered an antique rocking chair from the mom-to-be's mom and recovered it in a solid royal blue canvas. There were two windows on opposite walls from each other, and we decided to have 2 different types of window treatments. For one I had two roller shades made with blackout liner, and on the opposite window I painted a wood dowel, finials, brackets and rings all white, and pleated the curtain panels which were also lined with blackout.

Measuring the inside of the crib, I created a quilted bumper with cotton filling and ties for the corners. As accents to bring everything together I made a set of six pillows, each with a different animal, framed in the same solid blue canvas as the chair. The couple was very happy with the results, and I was pleased another 'little one' would grow up sleeping amongst and learning the names of such cute creatures!




1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet coordination of fabric from the window treatment to the pillows. It looks like you could even frame the fabric and hang it on the wall also.

    ReplyDelete